ARU Creative Community
Emma and the team at Anglia Ruskin University have shared a fantastic, quick and energy efficient way to create a sweet treat this Easter. It was trialled at the Creative Community group last week. 12 staff took part, they are easy enough to make in the office! They also tried gluten and diary free options as well.
- 1 Hot Cross Bun – flavour of your choice
- 75ml Milk – of your choice
- 1 Medium egg
- 1 Tablespoon of Sugar
- 2 – 3 Tablespoons of chocolate drops/flakes etc of your choice
- Large Mug
- Measuring Jug/Bowl
- Folk or Whisk
- Chopping Board
- Put all of your milk in the measuring jug or bowl add in the sugar and crack in the egg.
- Mix or whisk the mixture to combine with the folk or whisk. Once combined leave to the side.
- Slice the top off the hot cross bun make sure this is a thin slice this will be the top/lid to the mug cake. Leave this to the side.
- Cut the remaining hot cross bun in to cubes like crouton size. Split the cubes in to 3 small piles.
- In the mug add 1 of the three piles of cubed hot cross bun, then add in 1/3 of your chocolate by sprinkling over the top and top with 1/3 of the milk and egg mixture.
- Repeat this with the next 2 piles of hot cross bun cubes. Then add the hot cross bun slice on the top.
- Put in the microwave and heat on full power for 2 ½ minutes. This may vary slightly depending on your microwave you will be able to tell if it needs a little longer. The consistency should be like a bread-and-butter pudding.
- I would suggest leaving for a minute, so it isn’t too hot when you eat it. You can eat it on its own or top with a sprinkling of icing sugar and serve with ice cream, cream, yoghurt, fruit etc.