Stay Safe this Christmas – Christmas Survival Guide
Christmas can be a difficult time for many, here are a number of useful resources, to help negotiate the festive period:
Don’t forget that you can contact your in-house MHFAiders and also other workplace support i.e. HR Dept, Health and Wellbeing pages on your intranet/Wellbeing Hub, Employee Assistance Programme (EAP), if you have one. There are also links to local support on the Hub of Hope App
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service have produced their 10 safety tips for you this Christmas:
Why do family arguments happen more at Christmas?
While Christmas is supposed to bring joy and peace on Earth, the reality for many is a time of family conflict and feeling stressed. The commercialisation of Christmas and financial stress, the pressure and expectations to deliver a ‘perfect’ Christmas dinner, as well as sorting out decorations and gifts and having the kids out of routine, over-excited and hyped up on sugar all contribute.
Also, for many, Christmas is a time where grief may resurface for those who aren’t around to celebrate with us, bringing up feelings of loss and loneliness. For more information
Coping with Estrangement
Estrangement, when you’re not in contact with family members. Find support from the estrangement support charity Stand Alone
British Association of Anger Management – Keep your cool Christmas kit
TherapyForYou free Anger Management Courses and Counselling in North Essex:
Essex Wellbeing Service – opening hours for Christmas 2023:
For more information and to find a foodbank near you go to: https://www.trusselltrust.org/get-help/find-a-foodbank/
Stop Breathe Think:
Whether you want to understand more about how you’re feeling or get information and support around mental health issues our guides will help. Topics include:
- Bereavement, whether that’s recent or if some time has passed.
- Fertility problems. Tommy’s has lots of information about pregnancy and fertility. Aching Arms Baby Loss
Relationship and Divorce:
- Divorce and break-ups. Relationship charity Relate can provide help and support
Norwich Football Club – the importance of connecting with others this Christmas: This is a fantastic video:
Household support Fund:
The Household Support Fund from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) supports households with the rising cost of living.
To mark Household Support Fund Awareness Week (16 – 22 October) we wanted to share how the Fund has been supporting struggling households in Essex and how residents can access help.
Money from the Household Support Fund has enabled us to increase the Essential Living Fund which helps vulnerable people to pay for essential items. The Essential Living Fund can support with:
- household furnishings
- white goods
- general living expenses such as groceries, nappies, toiletries and fuel
Domestic Violence at Christmas
The Christmas period often brings with it a reported increase in police call-outs for incidents of domestic abuse. Financial pressures, higher alcohol consumption, trying to create the “perfect” Christmas and being cooped up together for long periods, all contribute to a regular rise in domestic abuse.
- Police in England and Wales made an average of 669 child protection referrals a day to social services in the last year
- New NSPCC analysis of the official data shows almost a quarter of a million referrals in 2020/2021, an 8% increase on the previous year
- The NSPCC helpline last year also saw a record number of calls from people worried about domestic abuse
If you are affected or concerned about someone experiencing any form of domestic violence here are support services:
0808 2000 247
ManKind Initiative: Support for Men:
Our confidential helpline is available for male victims of domestic abuse and domestic violence across the UK as well as their friends, family, neighbours, work colleagues and employers.
We provide an information, support and signposting service to men suffering from domestic abuse from their current or former wife, partner (including same-sex partner) or husband. This can range from physical violence or object throwing to abuse such as constant bullying or insults: https://mankind.org.uk/
White Ribbon UK:
White Ribbon is the UK’s leading charity engaging men and boys to end violence against women and girls.
Our mission is to prevent violence against women and girls by addressing its root causes. We work with men and boys to change long-established, and harmful, attitudes, systems and behaviours around masculinity that perpetuate inequality and violence.
Our work is preventative; we want to stop violence before it starts. There training includes: https://www.whiteribbon.org.uk/
Understanding and preventing violence against women and girls: Introduction to the issues surrounding violence against women and girls, and an introduction to allyship, focused on empowering individuals in workplaces and communities.
Accelerate your allyship: Providing learning for individuals to better understand restrictive and harmful gender norms and the tools of allyship, through reflection and appropriately challenging harmful attitudes and behaviours.
Domestic abuse awareness: Understanding domestic abuse, its impact on those affected by it, where to get help and how we can all be allies. Sessions are adapted to your context.
HSBC Financial Awareness Webinars
HSBC are running a range of free Financial webinars:
- Mon 18th Dec – 12.30pm – First time buyer – Explore how to prepare, finance and purchase your first home with confidence: https://hsbc.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_tMM8nbATRw-p23iGmYRS0A#/registration
- Tue 19th Dec – 12.30pm – My family – Gain insights on childcare, family savings and how money can work harder for your family: https://hsbc.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_WLuRkHMpR5eMPUOFhq5g4Q#/registration
- Wed 20th Dec – 9.30am – Creating a budget – Learn how to create a spending plan that aligns with your financial goals: https://hsbc.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_P8OVtaK3TOqTFIguuoVrmA#/registration
- Thur 21st Dec – 3.30pm – Making the most of your money – Discover practical steps to optimise your everyday finances and gain financial confidence: https://hsbc.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_2U44Lon0TseRaaFmNiM7mA#/registration
- Fri 22nd Dec – 12.30pm – Managing and growing your wealth – Discover the resources and opportunities available for long-term financial security:https://hsbc.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_1BH4tk9nT4yqRDXpdQCe7g#/registration